Found this great recipe for shrimp tacos on Pinch of Yum. I changed a couple things to make it a little leaner. This is a great healthy meal for Taco Tuesday! Pescetarian friendly too.
For the Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup reduced fat or fat free sour cream
For the Shrimp Tacos
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- ½ teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2-3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1-2 avocados
- Cotija cheese and additional cilantro for topping
- lime wedges for serving
- Pulse all the sauce ingredients except the sour cream in a food processor. When mostly smooth, add the sour cream and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust as needed. Set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and sprinkle with the spices. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and saute for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Toss some of the sauce (not all) with the cabbage until it the cabbage is coated to your liking. It should resemble a coleslaw – you want it to be enough sauce so the cabbage is weighed down a little bit. Use leftover sauce on top of the tacos or in other recipes.
- To serve tacos, smash a spoonful of avocado on the tortillas, top with a few pieces of shrimp, top with coleslaw, and finish with a light sprinkle of Cotjia cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges.